Saturday, April 18, 2009

Readers Remind Us of Many More Jingles

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal, Rio Rancho and Westside sections 4/18/09

A couple weeks ago I wrote a column about the more memorable advertising jingles that have become stuck in our heads over the years, selling us products and driving us crazy at the same time. I then asked readers to add to my list of favorites and the response was enthusiastic, entertaining and lots of fun. Looks like Proctor & Gamble and I aren’t the only ones who watch TV.

A big thank you goes out to my readers who jumped on the bandwagon and sent in so many good jingles, slogans and songs I had missed. You are the greatest. I only wish I had the space to include them all. So, sit back, fill it to the rim…with Brim, and see how many of these advertising wonders you remember.

Billy B. sent in his favorites, some even dating back to the 1940s:

"You'll wonder where the Yellow went...when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent". "Halo everybody-Halooo...Halo is the shampoo...that glorifies your hair… So Halo everybody Haloooo.”

"Whiz....the best Candy Bar there Izzzzz."

"S.O.S. for S.I.C." (This was a commercial from Southwestern Investment Company. There was a telegraph "tapping" in the background. Probably from the late 40's.)

"From the first you light...till your last at night." (Old Gold cigarettes)

“L.S.-M.F.T.......Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco"

"I'd walk a Mile for a Camel." "Ivory Soap 99 & 44/100% Pure.”

"Duz....Does Everything.” (laundry soap)

Hope G. had a lot of slogans and taglines locked in her brain as well:

“I’m Sir Celery, I’m Miss Parsley, we are the Onion Twins! Tuna Twist makes tuna taste fresh as a garden.” (I use that jingle as a recipe for tuna salad.)

“It’s not fried, it’s Shake ‘n Bake, and I helped.”

“Yes, Royal Crown Cola is different, and the difference comes through . . . to you.”

“A silly millimeter longer.” (to the tune of La Bamba, Benson & Hedges 101 cigarettes)

“Baby, for baby fine hair, Dippity-Do green, it’s keen.”

“Because there’s something about an Aqua Velva man.” (Wasn’t this with Joe Namath?)

“You’ve come a long way, baby, to get where you got to today; you’ve got your own cigarette now, baby—you’ve come a long, long way.” (Virginia Slims)

“Cigar, cigarette, Tiparillo?”

“Our L’eggs fit your legs, they hug you, they hold you—they never let you go!”

“Only your hairdresser knows for sure.” (Clairol hair color)

“I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never, never, never let you forget you’re the man; cause I’m a woman, Enjoli.” (perfume)

“Never borrow money needlessly, but when you must, borrow from the only company with folks you trust. Borrow confidently with H F C.” (Household Finance Company)

“I’m Chiquita Banana and I’m here to say, why not buy a banana today?”

“Mr. Bubble gets you so clean, your mother won’t know you.”

Wayne T. reminds us how songs have influenced advertising over the years:

“I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing” by the Hillside Singers and The New Seekers. (Coca-Cola)

“No Matter What Shape Your Stomach is in.” (Alka Seltzer)

“The Marlboro Theme” ubiquitous Hugo Montenegro instrumental heard all through the '60's and '70's.

"Brusha... Brusha... Brusha. Get the New Ipana - it's dandy for your teeth!"

“Meow, meow, meow, meow” (Meow Mix)

“Snap, Crackle and Pop Rice Crispies”

“I Heard It through the Grapevine” (California Raisins).

Mary H. in Michigan emailed in with this beauty: “My favorite at the moment in the great state of Michigan is on huge billboards around the state- www.poopycredit.com.”

Bill P. wrote in: “My current fav is the JG Wentworth opera: "If you have long term payments and you NEED CASH NOW."

Carry on fellow consumers, betcha can’t eat just one.

Quote of the Week: “If I've only one life, let me live it as a blonde!” -Clairol hair color

No comments:

Post a Comment