Saturday, October 30, 2010

Free Car Wash an Answer to Low Voter Turnout?

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section 10/30/10


"You better not be voting for her," said my 12-year-old daughter after watching the latest scathing political commercial on television. She warned me with such conviction, as if she had read every interview, watched every debate and attended every rally of that particular candidate.

"Why not?" I asked. Why did I even ask? She's 12 and the only thing she knows is what the latest ads tell her and how much a Sham Wow costs. "Just wait for her competitor's commercial, honey; she'll make the other one look just as bad," I told her.

Have you decided who you're voting for? Do the commercials sway you in any way? I already know who I'm voting for; the ads don't sway me. No, I don't vote a straight ticket like I used to, but I made up my mind back in the primary. Still, I know there are some people who wait until they get into that almighty booth to make a decision. Those people bug me.

It's been election season for a long time now (Calgon, take me away). Is it me or are there more postcards in my mailbox, commercials on the TV and radio, and more signs in the yards than ever before?

If that isn't annoying enough, the telemarketers have to call to find out which way you are leaning: red or blue? Did you vote yet? Do you plan to vote? If so, then for whom are you going to vote? The calls seem to only apply to land lines. I ditched my land line last year so at least for now, I'm safe. I'm sure by the next presidential election we'll be getting hounded on our cell phones.

Think about this: With all of the canvassing, hand-shaking, signs, stickers and tag lines, voter turnout remains dismal. We need to make voting day more of a celebration, more significant than just scoring a small oval sticker.

I have voted in every major election since I was old enough to vote. It's in my blood, and I think that's where it starts. If your parents instilled the importance of voting in you, chances are you are more likely to carry that with you in every election thereafter. Teach your children well, my friends.

But for those out there who are apathetic about voting, it just might take some incentives to get you to punch that chad in the voting booth on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

If we really want to turn the table on low voter turnout, we need to make election day more of a public celebration, not less. How about a free car wash when you vote? I could use that right about now. Or the city could waive your water bill for a month if you show the clerk your "I Voted" sticker. The small red, white and blue "I Voted" sticker is good enough for me; I'll wear it proudly all day and then stick it on the roof of my car until it falls off. Vote on Tuesday, my fellow New Mexicans.

Quote of the Week: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote." — William E. Simon, 63rd U.S. secretary of the Treasury

No comments:

Post a Comment