Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Don't Touch My Grocery Store!

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal, Rio Rancho and Westside sections 3/21/09

I rarely complain and if you read this column you know that is true. Given the current state of the economy there are plenty of reasons floating around out there to whine about. Pick an issue, any issue. Will Rio Rancho’s educational crown jewel, Cleveland High School actually open this fall? How about the current state of the economy and Obama’s bail out plan? Or what about the whole AIG mess? I leave that ink to the many others who are better at arguing than I am.

As if the current state of affairs isn’t enough, one of my pet peeves has resurfaced again, tipping the apple cart and I have to get it off my chest: They rearranged the Albertsons grocery store on Ridgecrest again.

Except for discontinuing my Kozy Shack 4-pack crème caramel and replacing it with rice pudding six months ago, there is nothing more aggravating than walking into my regular grocery store and not recognizing it. Stepping one foot inside the sliding glass door, it doesn’t take long to figure out something is different. Oh, I have been through this cataclysmic upheaval many times over the years and the adjustment never gets any easier. It will be months before I can get back up to speed with the new layout. Where are the maps?

Grocery stores rearrange their interiors every once in awhile for a variety of reasons. Are they trying to create a consistent look throughout all of their chain of stores? It’s a practical idea but not necessary. Are they trying to mix things up so shoppers notice and hopefully purchase new products they normally would not purchase? No dice. I’ve been shopping off of the same list for fifteen years and its working for me. The new things I am noticing are not necessities and therefore only make my party streamer receipt at the check out much longer and costlier than need be.

During this new orientation period of aisle navigation, no longer does the phrase “run in and pick up a few things” apply. I know I am not the only one who takes twice as long to get through their list. I notice all of the other shoppers seem to be wandering around doe-eyed like lost toddlers at a Rolling Stones concert. They push their carts in slow motion, sheepishly choosing an aisle then stopping abruptly when they realize what used to be the coffee aisle is now the cereal aisle and their beloved Folgers crystals has been replaced with bright orange boxes of Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch.

Once I adopted a “go with the flow” attitude, my world got brighter. If I am going to be lost in my grocery store, at least they had the Bruce Hornsby music playing on the PA system during my last visit. Secondly, have you seen the new Chocolate Drizzle Baby Cakes in the bakery section? You want to buy them just for the name itself - chalk one up for the marketing department. Plus, I am collecting those Monopoly game pieces. I am only two away from winning the Chrysler.

So, enough complaining. Like I said, just look around, there’s a whole potpourri of subject matter to be miserable about. Let’s make our own personal stimulus plans and think of five things to be happy about. Here are mine:

1. The women’s team won on Celebrity Apprentice (3 for 3).
2. The two piece yellow and orange fringe ensemble Julianne wore on Dancing with the Stars will be available at Target this summer.
3. Delma Petrullo is the new deputy mayor of Rio Rancho, go Delma.
4. Not having to order a venti latte at Starbucks because a cup of joe at 7-11 tastes better anyhow.
5. Albertsons Baby Cakes.

What puts a smile on your face? Share the funny.

Quote of the Week: “If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.” – Jimmy Buffet.

No comments:

Post a Comment