Monday, July 13, 2009

Americans Are Suckers for Pitchmen With Accents

As seen in the Albuquerque Journal, Rio Rancho section 07/11/09

The phrase "Sell the sizzle, not the steak" is the old adage that the advertising industry creatives live by. Executives have been honing their skills for years trying to figure out what is going to make average consumers go out and spend their hard-earned dollar on something they didn't know they wanted until they were told they couldn't live without it. And one way to do it is to put a big personality out front to make the product sound like the answer to all your prayers, aka the pitchman.

How many young people out there bought their parents a ShamWow for Christmas last year? I know my youngest daughter wanted to buy me one, and my nephew actually did give my sister one. How could they help themselves, those poor innocent consumers? Watching a captivating commercial every half hour on the television and a slick salesman like Vince telling them they needed one for "the shower, the boat and the RV." Those kind-hearted, gift-giving urchins didn't stand a chance.

Pitchmen have been shouting at us since before television existed, but TV only gave them a bigger audience. Even Jack LaLanne, the exercise guru of the '60s, is hawking his Power Juicer, beauty products, belt buckles and T-shirts. I remember I used to watch Jack Lalanne on TV when I was young and home sick from school. I would turn on his exercise show (it was in black and white) and dunk my Oreos in my milk as he counted out the repetitions. He was persuasive in getting me to hold on to a chair and do leg lifts every now and then, but mostly I just waited to see if Happy, his white shepherd dog, would come onto the set. A Power Juicer? If Jack Lalanne says it's good, it has to be.

It was sad news to hear Billy Mays died recently. Everyone knows Billy Mays for OxiClean. Billy Mays for Orange Glo, Billy Mays for Kaboom. With a very recognizable presentation voice, you knew when his commercials came on without even seeing the screen. I have to admit, I couldn't take Billy Mays in the morning. He may have been very successful at his career, but that decibel is not acceptable before the noon hour.

What is it with Americans and the English accent? For some reason, we just attach authority to it no matter what the subject is. Take the other big pitchman out there, Anthony "Sully" Sullivan. You know him for products such as the Swivel Sweeper, the TapLight, the Smart Chopper, the One Sweep, the Natural Bra, the Jet Tan, the Slimming Pants, the Glass Wizard, the Laser Straight, the Westinghouse StickUp Bulb, the Grater Plater, the Point 'n Paint and the list goes on and on.

There have been many famous pitchmen over the years who have begged for your money. Dave Thomas, founder of the Wendy's fast food chain, was the pitchman for his own company. Remember Florence Henderson and her "Wesson-ality?"

Bill Cosby was one of my favorites. He used to pitch Jell-O brand pudding for years. I still have my Old Weird Harold plastic pudding cup in my cupboard from the '70s. I am sure my granddad saved countless box tops and sent away for it, just like he did my Tony the Tiger spoon; which is in my silverware drawer right now.

But wait, there's more! Remember John Cameron Swayze for Timex? How about Madge the manicurist for Palmolive dishwashing liquid — you're soaking in it.

As long as there is life on the planet, there will be pitchmen standing in line to sell you something you probably don't need. So don't get out that credit card too quickly, unless of course, he has an English accent.

Quote of the week: "I talked, I yelled, I hawked, and it worked! I was stuffing money into my pockets, more money than I had ever seen in my life." — Ron Popeil, maker of the Vegomatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment