Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spring Gardening in a Top 100 Fun City

There is another city ranking survey out this week. This one is by Portfolio magazine and it ranks the Top 100 Fun Cities in the US. Albuquerque made the list at number 80, beating out places like Modesto, California, McAllen, Texas and Provo, Utah. It doesn’t say much for beating out those cities, does it?

Surprising cities that beat out the Duke City? Youngstown, Ohio, Des Moines, Iowa and Omaha, Nebraska. The top ranked city for shopping, gambling, entertainment, culture, food and drink, high and low impact sports went to none other than New York City. I could have guessed that one. I guess our tram, green chile chicken stew and pink sunsets can’t hold a candle to the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building or Broadway. But we like it.

So when spring hits the eightieth most fun place to live in the United States, what do we do? We batten down the hatches, turn our sprinklers back on and head out to the garden supply stores for some new plants to spruce up our yards. Since the neighbors are doing it, that means I’m doing it too, and so I went.

I wanted new plants, the kind I’ve never owned before, but once I got to the store, my eyes glazed over. At first I was like a kid in a candy store, wanting one of everything. Then I realized that the trees weren’t going to fit in my car, and did I really want another rose bush? I was good with geraniums, but how many can you have?

I had to call an expert and find out what the trends are this spring for making our yards better than our neighbors. Mike Dooley, owner of High Desert Gardens in Rio Rancho is a friend of mine who I go to from time to time when I need answers to questions like “what is a good tree to plant in my little yard?”

“The plant market on the retail end, I don’t know,” said Dooley, who has been in the landscape design business for over thirty year. “I suspect it is doing ok. But the installation market is still down. People will spend some money to put in some plants, but because of the maintenance involved, they are not doing full blown landscape jobs.”

In my quest to keep up with the Joneses, I had to get the inside scoop on what the neighbors were doing this spring. “Surprisingly hardscape is the popular thing; walls, stone walks, outdoor grills,” said Dooley. “And I think it’s associated with the fact that nobody can get a home loan. They are staying where they’re at and taking their money and upgrading their house, including their outdoor living areas. There seems to be a greater appreciation for hardscape because it is considered a home improvement and they will be able to get their money back at some point.”

What about us people who are scraping by but still want to have a nice yard, I wanted to know what the smartest way to spend my money was.

“Your maintenance dollar goes along way,” says Dooley. “You would make sure your yard is properly maintained including fertilize your lawn and scrubs, trim perennials, and check your irrigation system.”

But maintenance isn’t exciting. I think I’ll go back for another geranium.

Quote of the Week: “Did you ever think how a bit of land shows the character of the owner?” - Laura Ingalls Wilder.

No comments:

Post a Comment