Saturday, February 12, 2011

Caveat Emptor Should Be My Middle Name

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal, Rio Rancho section Saturday, February 12, 2011


It all started over a year ago when I was trying to sell my Jeep Commander. I was told I would get more money for it if I sold it myself rather than go through a dealership. And since the goal is always to make smart money decisions, I was going to go with that.

I cleaned the Jeep until it sparkled like new. I spent the money to fix all of the chips in the windshield, something I wouldn't do if I was going to a dealership. Plus, I even changed the oil. And then my mother called. "You don't know how to sell a car yourself. What if they come to your house and steal your car? And how will you handle the paperwork," she questioned.

With my mother pointing out the obvious, I then drove down to a dealership and traded the Jeep in for a lesser used car. It took me weeks to get over feeling like an idiot for spending over $200 on an oil change, chip repair and a full tank of gas, just to give it to a dealership. Live and learn. Unfortunately, this scene would play out again and again in the months to come.

I am sure this one has happened to others; I simply can't be alone. How many times have you taken your whole family out to see a full-priced movie, and a week later the movie is showing at the dollar theater? I would have gladly waited a week and cut the tab had I known "The Social Network" was in its last week at the cineplex. Live and learn.

When it comes to buying airline tickets, does it matter when you make your purchase?

I have to head back to the Midwest soon and have been watching the ticket prices fluctuate daily, even hourly. I was just about to click BUY when my sister called me. She said she had heard that the best day to purchase airline tickets was Tuesdays at 3 p.m. So, I waited until Tuesday and paid more than I would have on Sunday when I wanted to click BUY originally. Just shoot me.

My favorite has to be what happened to me last Wednesday. I had to get my and my daughter's driver's licenses renewed, so I decided to try the new express place on Southern Boulevard.

When we walked in there were only two other people in line. I noticed a sign on the wall that stated they were not a state agency and there might be a fee up to $24.95. I figured that fee would surely be for something big like a commercial driver's license, handicap placard and a couple of truck registrations; mine would probably be around $3.

Upon taking our pictures and the vision test, the very friendly clerk asked us the pertinent questions, processed our paperwork and ran my total. "That will be $89.17," she said.

"What?" I asked in shock. "How much were the licenses?"

Turns out the licenses were the normal $18 each. But there is a "convenience fee" of $24.95 per transaction. "Well, that must be why you are not busy," I said trying to keep my cool. "Oh, we get very busy," the friendly clerk said.

I left feeling like I had a sign taped to my back with big letters that read: KICK ME.

Caveat emptor my friends. But sometimes timing and convenience are everything.

Quote of the Week: "There are more fools among buyers than among sellers." — Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment