Thursday, March 17, 2011

Too Much of a Green Thing Can Backfire

As appeared in the Albuqueque Journal Rio Rancho section Saturday, March 12, 2011


"I hope there's not a corned beef in that bag," said my eldest daughter last week as I was carrying in the first load of groceries from the car.

"Of course there is, honey," I said, knowing full well that even the smell of the celebratory roast is enough to evoke her gag reflex.

"I also bought the cabbage, carrots and potatoes; it's St. Patrick's Day next week," I twinkled. I gave up on the "just one bite" years ago when I knew it was more than a casual dislike with her, as is pot roast.

St. Patrick's Day brings many tricks and innocent pranks on the children in your house; just ask mine, who have lived through everything from green milk at breakfast to green mashed potatoes at dinner.

Green milk and mashed potatoes, yes, I may go overboard on this holiday, but with names like Cochran, Smalley and Rafferty in my family tree, and my mother calling me Guinevere (a Welsh variant of Jennifer) my entire childhood, the holiday is rather hard to ignore. Or maybe I use it as an excuse to celebrate.

One of the coldest St. Patty's days I've ever spent was down in the Flats of Cleveland. The name reflects its low topography on the banks of the Cuyahoga River, and in mid-March you can bet the breezes weren't balmy. Fagan's, a local Irish pub near the water, was the place to be on St. Patrick's Day in the early '80s. And although the winds off the lake were enough to make your teeth rattle, the company inside was warm enough to make up for it.

When my daughters were little, St. Patrick's Day was a day of fun and mischief in our house. They woke up one year to the amazement of green painted fingernails on their little hands. Once out of bed, they followed a trail of lucky pennies out of their rooms and down the stairs to the kitchen where green shamrock-shaped pancakes awaited them.

The innocent pranks left an indelible mark on my little one, though, for the following year she remembered the little elf's antics and would not go to sleep in her own bed for fear of the "green leprechaun man" who would be coming into her room that night. Note to mommies: Too much of a good thing can backfire.

Don't forget to set your clocks ahead one hour tonight. It will take us all at least a week to recover from the time change. At least it's another step bringing us closer to spring.

Quote of the Week: "May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face; the rains fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand." — traditional Gaelic blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment