Thursday, July 7, 2011

Former Ohioan Keeps Making Music

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section July 2, 2011

Last week’s column on my trip back to Ohio had more than a few people write in commenting on Ohio, old friends and Ohio University. I knew there were some Ohio transplants in Rio Rancho, and one in particular stole my heart.


“I read your column of Saturday, June 25th and I enjoyed it very much. Why? Because I was born and raised in Cleveland — 91 years ago,” Richard Kolda wrote in an email.

Turns out Richard and his wife moved to Rio Rancho in 2007 to be closer to their daughter and son-in-law.

Small world you say? It gets even smaller.

Richard Kolda went to Ohio University, like I did, and got his bachelor’s degree in education, but it took him a little longer than he had expected.

“It took me 8 years to get my degree. Some guy by the name of Hitler interrupted my education,” Richard says.

After teaching instrumental music in the Cleveland Heights School System for 30 years, and playing in the Cleveland Orchestra, among other bands and orchestras, Richard retired, but that hasn’t stopped him from playing his trumpet.

“I joined the Rio Rancho Symphonic Band a few weeks after the move,” Richard says. “I love the association with other musicians.”

The Rio Rancho Symphonic Band is an adult community band, says John Emory, the band’s director. He founded the band in 2005 to provide an outlet for adults in Rio Rancho and surrounding communities to continue making music after high school and college.

“As a result, we have a wide range of ages from high school age to our most experienced player, who is 91, which would be our own Richard Kolda, by the way,” Emory says.

Currently the band seats around 40 musicians at any given concert. There is no audition process for membership, rather Emory allows prospective members to attend rehearsals and decide for themselves if the band is a fit for their skill level.

The band rehearses every Tuesday at Cibola High School and plays free concerts about eight weeks apart all year; inside Cibola Auditorium during the winter months and outdoors in parks during the warmer months.

“Our goal is to increase our regular performing membership to 60,” says Emory. He is looking for wind or percussion players to join the band. If interested, John would love a phone call from you at 250-1773.

The Rio Rancho Symphonic Band will perform live before the fireworks show around 7:30 p.m. at Rio Rancho High school on the Fourth of July. I know I will be there; I have a fellow Bobcat to meet.

“I sit in the trumpet section, second-to-last chair,” Richard says. “I can’t decide what to wear; my O.U. hat or Indians.”

This O.U. bobkitten votes for the green and white O.U. hat, Richard.

Happy 4th of July Rio Rancho. Stay safe, and leave the fireworks to the officials.

Quote of the Week: “My whole life, my whole soul, my whole spirit is to blow that horn.” — Louis Armstrong, American leading trumpeter, 1901-1971.

No comments:

Post a Comment