Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Enchanted Gifts from the Land of Enchantment

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section July 30, 2011
The other day I was packing up my eldest daughter to go and spend the weekend with her aunt, uncle and cousins in Nevada. As I was reminding her to remember her manners, and to pack a sweater, even though it is summer, I started to think what sort of thank you gift I could send along with her, something that says “New Mexico.”


New Mexico Piñon Coffee in the bright red package is many people’s favorite coffee around here. Having earned the title “Best Selling Coffee” at the New Mexico State Fair seven years in a row and “A Top 24 Gourmet Food Company” by the New York Times, well, I can’t be the only one who loves this morning brew.

El Pinto salsa is always a great idea. Famous and delicious, there is the chipotle salsa, the fire-roasted green chile salsa, or even their enchilada sauce would make a great gift. But with the strict airline regulations, I wasn’t sure if salsa was considered a liquid and would it be confiscated at security and put on display with the bottles of shampoo and mouthwash? I pressed on for the perfect gift.

There’s nothing like a cool Santa Fe evening with the smell of fireplaces burning in the air to scream New Mexico.

That is why my favorite local gift has to be piñon incense. Available at many stores around town, they even sell the little kivas to burn the incense in for the full effect.

I didn’t have time to drive all over town, and the one store I went to didn’t have it, so I pressed on.

Another favorite scented gift worth mentioning is the cedar wood scented incense and spray from the Hyatt Tamaya Resort. Yes, the scent you smell as you walk in the front door is available for purchase in their gift shop. I bought some once as a birthday gift for a friend who lives back East as a little reminder of how beautiful the sunset was from the patio.

A book of ghost stories by Albuquerque author Antonio R. Garcez always makes a great gift. “New Mexico Ghost Stories” is a collection of first-hand recollections of ghostly encounters that happened in different parts of the state. His newest, “American Indian Ghost Stories of the West” is by far the most chilling of them all. I warn you: Do not read it alone at night.

I ended up buying the old standby: candles. But these came tied in raffia ribbon with a Mexican tile and scents that were named Jemez morning and purple sage. I think that little touch of the Land of Enchantment will be just fine.

Did I miss any? What is your favorite gift to send to out-of-state friends and relatives?

Quote of the Week: “Casey also saw this same shadow walk from the bedroom to the bathroom one night. In the kitchen, knifes would be removed from the wood knife block, and in the morning, I would find them spread out in the sink!” – excerpt from “New Mexico Ghost Stories” by Antonio R. Garcez.

No comments:

Post a Comment