Saturday, April 11, 2009

Third Time's a Charm with The Boss


As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal, Rio Rancho and Westside sections 04/11/09

Last weekend I dropped off my dogs at Zoey's TLC Bed and Breakfast, packed up the Jeep with plenty of water bottles and Hubba Bubba bubble gum and hit the road.

This story actually began, or should I say the flame was rekindled when it was announced last January that Bruce Springsteen was going to be the half-time show at the Super Bowl. My radar went up as I searched to see how close his world tour would bring him to Albuquerque. When it comes to rock-n-roll headliners, New Mexico seems to be the step-child of the southwest as big name acts tend to book Austin, Denver and Phoenix, sideswiping the land of enchantment altogether. Why? When all the Santa Ana Star Center has to do is piggy back with those neighboring venues and advertise the events, but I’ll get to that later.

I didn’t get my hopes too high and sure enough New Mexico was not on Springsteen’s tour schedule. But Phoenix? Did someone say road trip?

My daughters and I set off for Glendale, AZ to catch Bruce and the E Street Band last Friday. It would be the third time for me, the first time for my daughters, who were just as excited about the adventure as I was. But we had to get there first.

The winds were quite forceful as we sang our way to Flagstaff, but right around Winslow when sustaining winds clocked in at 40mph gusting to 60mph, visibility went down to five feet and safety beckoned us to the shoulder of I-40 west. Traffic lanes came to an immediate standstill as truckers safely stopped traffic for over an hour until God stopped shaking the dirty brown snow globe we were in.

The hotel was a stone’s throw from the arena and Glendale Commons. This attractive setting conveniently hosts restaurants, shops and walkways with dancing water fountains choreographed to music creating an entertaining ambience Rio Rancho should strive for. Maybe a Jimmy Buffett ultra-themed Margaritaville restaurant is a little beyond our scope at our small population, but maybe not.

While we sat in our seats for over an hour waiting for the Boss to take the stage, I couldn’t help but take note of the crowd. Where was the rowdy behavior and hand rolled “cigarettes” from the 1978 Darkness tour concert in Michigan? Where were the flask guzzling 20-sometings from the 1987 Tunnel of Love tour concert I saw in Washington, D.C.? No where to be found. They had been replaced with beer sipping gray haired, pony-tailed men and their wives who still wish they were the ones being pulled up onstage during Dancing in the Dark. Yes, Bruce’s fans were aging right along side him, but still keeping their inner 18-year-old groupies close at heart

After kicking myself for giving away my ’78 tour t-shirt to Goodwill years ago, I stood in line to buy a 2009 Working on a Dream Tour shirt, actually three since I had two new fans with me this time. I now realize not all clothing falls into the category of “if not worn in two years-give it away.” Tour shirts and special gifts should be kept forever.

Unfortunately Bruce didn’t ask me to join his band, or design his next album cover, or even write a column about him. But just in case he reads this one, Bruce here is an open invitation from New Mexico. We’ve got some great green chili stew and a lot of fans waiting for you right here and we’ll leave the light on for you.

Quote of the Week: ““Hey what else can we do now, except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair. Well the night's busting open these two lanes will take us anywhere.” – Thunder Road, Bruce Springsteen.

1 comment:

  1. My God woman your a "not too old" hippie. Cooooool Mike

    ReplyDelete