Saturday, June 26, 2010

Time Sure Flies When Your Kids Are Growing Up

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section 6/26/10

I have a friend who just had her second baby. She now has two little ones and she has stepped down from her high profile job in journalism ready to embark on what she calls a “slower paced” life at home.

I remember those early days when my two daughters were very small. I worked part time from my home office after they went to bed at night. I was never so tired in my life. Oh, sure at first I was bored to death; the laundry was always folded, the floors were always scrubbed and the meals were always on the table on time. And then they began to have birthdays.

First birthday parties are usually small with immediate family in attendance. I ironed my light blue smocked dress with the itchy crinoline petticoat that tied in the back that my mother had saved all those years. Here I was thirty-three year later putting it on my own daughter on her first birthday. Time sure flies.

By the second or third birthday kids are brave enough to walk into a Chuck E. Cheese and not jump out of their skin when the big stuffed animals walk up to them and try to give them a hug. By the time they are 5 and 6, the only goal is to win 25,000 game tickets so they can buy the red yo yo and a Chinese finger trap, eat a piece of pizza and go home slung over dad’s shoulder. Time sure flies.

As parents we work so hard to make the birthday parties perfect and something our kids will treasure in their hearts forever. Like the time when my mother made a special coconut elephant shaped cake for my brother’s fourth birthday because his favorite animal was elephants. She slaved over a hot oven all day making the masterpiece from scratch; mind you this was 1963, plus she had two younger children at her hip. She spread the white whipped frosting all over the elephant, carefully placing a maraschino cherry for the eye. Upon presenting the birthday boy his cake at the table, he took one look at it and proclaimed, “I don’t like coconut.” He didn’t eat one bite.

The moon bounces and water slides are a big hit for the summer birthdays. By the time the kids are old enough for these, parents are still young enough to partake of the recreation as well. “Do it again, Mom. Please? C’mon, one more time” Time sure flies.

But soon they outgrow the pony rides and jumpies and it’s on to bigger and better activities. My youngest turns twelve this week and I surprised her with a bowling party with four of her closest girlfriends. I thought this would be a new and exciting way to celebrate a birthday, besides girls this age love being together just about anywhere.

What do twelve year old girls do at a bowling birthday party? Well, they don’t bowl. After an hour they were still on frame number four. They don’t eat the pizza either. They don’t talk to their mothers. What they do is stand in a tight group as if they haven’t seen each other in years, giggle, look at each other’s cell phones and talk about boys. Time sure flies.

Quote of the Week: “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” -Frank Sinatra.

No comments:

Post a Comment