Saturday, July 24, 2010

On This Trip, Destination Is Well Worth the Journey

For those of us who aren't taking a big vacation this summer, I've discovered another day worth sharing. If you have taken the Turquoise Trail to Madrid, then you can sing along with me. If you haven't, you are in for a real treat.

There is a much easier and faster way to get to Madrid, but who's in a hurry on this recent bright and relaxing Sunday afternoon? Not me nor my faithful tour guide, so we head up Sandia Crest Byway, a national scenic byway heading east on Route 165 out of Placitas, and right into the Cibola National Forest. Las Huertas Canyon welcomes us as the trees begin to canopy over the car and the asphalt road turns to a narrow, winding dirt road. We rattle over washboard sections that remind us we're a far cry from Interstate 25.

Although it seems like the road is taking us deep into the dark and forgotten woods, I feel like I should be dropping bread crumbs behind us. But it seems we're not the only ones to know about this place. Yes, once again I am the last person in New Mexico to discover this popular destination for day campers and picnickers, given the pickup trucks, Jeeps and what-have-yous parked amongst the trees and packed with coolers, hibachis and folding lawn chairs.

I am enjoying the beautiful view as I begin to identify the junipers and piƱons and the occasional wild flower. I get caught up in the moment and say to my tour guide, "I hope we spot a bear," which gets me a sideways glance because he knows I only say this from the safety and security of a locked and moving car.

This is the wild adventurous part of the trip, 8,000 feet now, and we are glad it is summertime. A sign reads "Road Closed in Winter — Proceed at Your Own Risk," reminding travelers that in January the snow can get as deep as 6 to 8 feet here. The beautiful aspens start to appear all around and the view is worthy of a few clicks of the camera.

We make it to the top and hit paved Route 536 and the Sandia Peak Ski Area. OK, now I know where I am. It's only a short drive up the Turquoise Trail (N.M. 14) to Madrid for lunch and shopping.

Once an historic coal mining and ghost town, Madrid is a small community with quaint and quirky shops that line the main drag, while tourists and an occasional golden retriever wander by. Shopping here is a treat, given the variety of Gypsy shops, antique stores, art and jewelry boutiques, restaurants and ice cream shops. I think I will have to make a return visit for some holiday shopping later in the year.

It's BLTs for lunch at the Mine Shaft Tavern, another biker bar complete with the quintessential outdoor porch for standing and strutting your bandana, tattoos and tank-topped biker chick. The place is packed, so we grab two seats at the end of the bar and place our order. The sign in the lobby sums up the town's cast of characters and feel-good ambience: We don't have a town drunk, we all take turns.

A cloudburst cooled off the afternoon as the locals prepared for a bluegrass music festival later that evening. We hit the road, taking a secret short cut back and shaving off half the time it took to get there. If you want to take this shortcut to Madrid rather than the Turquoise Trail, head north on I-25 and take the Santo Domingo Pueblo exit at the water tower, heading east until you reach Route 14. But remember, it's the journey, not the destination, so go slow. Enjoy.

Quote of the Week: "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." — Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment