Saturday, June 25, 2011

Father's Day 2011

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section June 18, 2011

Father’s Day is tomorrow, and although some of you fathers out there feel it is just another holiday invented by the greeting card companies, the rest of us feel just the opposite.


You can’t be all bad when your sons want to grow up to be just like you, and your daughters want to marry someone who is just like you. Father’s are important to their children.

Many men are of few words, yet when opportunities present themselves, they seem to rise to the occasion and speak words of wisdom in low, genuine loving tones. Fathers, whether you realize it or not, you have all the power in the world and your children are listening.

You are teaching your children life lessons all the time, values that only a father can instill in his children. And usually at the times when you least realize. Here are some lessons my father taught me, and he probably doesn’t even know it.

Seeing my dad drive 6 hours in the car to spend 36 hours with his three little kids in a Howard Johnson’s motel room for years taught me you have to put yourself out there when it comes to your kids, even if you live in a different state.

Seeing the look on my dad’s face, and the tears in his eyes as he waved goodbye to his kids after spending the weekend together, not knowing the next time he would see them taught me that life isn’t always the way you imagined it, or wanted it. But if you deal with it the best way you can, everyone will get through it.

Waking up your child from the backseat after riding six hours in the car to witness the odometer turn 70,000 miles together taught me you can find joy in even the smallest things in life.
Finding a tiny black and white picture of my mother in my dad’s jewelry box taught me it’s alright to hold someone in your heart forever, even if you were only married to them for 7 years of your life and went though a heartbreaking divorce.

Watching my dad go on rollercoasters when he was in his 50s taught me you’re never too old to act like a kid.

Working in the family business until 2 in the morning packing donuts into boxes for delivery at 6am, and then coming back at 6am to drive the delivery truck instilled a strong work ethic in me, and taught me that nobody goes homes until the job is done.

Being forced to go to boring family reunions with my dad taught me family is important, whether you even know which people are blood relatives and which ones married in, it’s important to know where you came from.

This is your purpose in life, men. Be there for your children. Love your children, whether they are 9 years old, 18 or 50. You have all the power in the world. Use it with tender loving care. Happy Father’s Day Dad.
Quote of the Week: “I guess the real reason that my wife and I had children is the same reason that Napoleon had for invading Russia: it seemed like a good idea at the time.” - Bill Cosby.

No comments:

Post a Comment