Saturday, June 11, 2011

Someday You, Too, Will Be ‘That’ Old

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section June 11, 2011

They say the first step to overcoming a problem is to acknowledge it. My problem is age. Staying in shape has always been easy for me; walking was my answer to keeping my schoolgirl figure. But I have come to the point in my life where walking, and I mean power walking, isn’t cutting it anymore. As unfortunate as this is, I acknowledge it.
The second step to overcoming a problem is to treat it. I started seriously treating this problem over a month ago by returning to an activity that I know all too well: swimming.
Growing up on the water in Michigan, everyone was a swimmer. I was on swim teams ever since I can remember. I was even a valley champion in high school, as well as being the captain of my high school girls swim team my senior year.
I say this not to be boastful or conceited, but rather the back story is important. Starting swimming again after too many years out of the water was a very humbling experience to say the least.
You would think performing an activity that you used to be very good at would come naturally to you some 30 years later, like riding a bike. But was I in for a rude awakening.

About five weeks ago, I stopped in Big 5 to get a new Speedo swimsuit so I would at least dress the part of a true swimmer. Goggles and a towel and I was off to the aquatic center early Monday morning last April.
Upon arrival, the girl at the desk asked me if I was there for the class or the lap swim. I know one day I will probably be in the class where all the women stand in a circle, bounce in the shallow end of the pool and gossip, but not yet.

Before school let out, there were always plenty of open lanes. In fact, there were many times when I was the only swimmer the lifeguard had to watch. Now I get to watch the teenagers on the swim team practice and remember what I once was, so far away and long ago.

They don’t know that I used to do 6,000-yard workouts, weights and what have you, too. No, all they see is some woman slowly swimming down a lane holding on to a kickboard because she has no clue what real swimming is.
Yes, all of us old-timers take our time going up and down the lanes on our backs, sides and some of us even put our faces in the water. As tempting as it is to do the sidestroke, I refuse to. Yes, my grandmother taught me how to do the sidestroke in Lake Huron. Yes, I am proud, but in a pool full of young people, this would categorize me as an old lady. Wait a minute, I am sure they already think of me as one of the old ladies. What do I care?
Your day will come, you young whippersnappers. When you are the elder in the pool, recounting great memories of all the hard work you did, the friendships you made along the way, the great shape your body was in, all the food you could eat without gaining weight, and how you thought that you would never be “that” old.
Quote of the Week: “The great secret that all old people share is that you really haven’t changed in 70 or 80 years. Your body changes, but you don’t change at all.” – Doris Lessing, 2007 Nobel Prize winner in Literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment