Saturday, May 21, 2011

Signs of the Rapture Growing in My Front Yard

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section Sat, May 21, 2011

I hate to be the bearer of bad news — and unless you live under a rock, I am sure this won’t be the first time you hear it — but reports are the world will be ending today at 6 p.m.

At least according to Harold Camping, a pastor out of Oakland, Calif., who is scaring the bejeezus out of people by suggesting they better say their goodbyes and eat all the food in their refrigerators because they will soon be going away for a very long time.

Camping is an 89-year-old retired civil engineer who founded Family Radio Worldwide, an independent ministry that has broadcast his prediction around the world. He says Jesus Christ will return to earth today, May 21, to gather the faithful into heaven. Most Christians aren’t buying it, but I still wonder, does this mean I don’t have to pay May’s electric bill?

As you can imagine, people are finding ways to capitalize on poor innocent souls who believe the apocalyptic prediction. Bart Centre, an atheist from New Hampshire, started Eternal Earth-bound Pets in 2009. He offers insurance for $135 to take care of your pets after the Rapture. I don’t see the need. I thought all dogs go to heaven.

The Rapture, the belief that Christ will bring the faithful into paradise before a period of tribulation on earth that precedes the end of time, is quite a daunting concept, one that is hard to grasp. But for the last two weeks, I’ve been watching signs of the Rapture in my own front yard, and according to the Internet, the end is definitely imminent. My big beautiful agave has been growing its life-ending flower stalk, and I’m not kidding, it grows by the hour. It’s now 6 feet tall. We are the talk of the neighborhood.

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” I heard one neighbor say as she passed the house on her morning walk. Another walker joined her and chimed in with her bewilderment. Then another. I finally looked out the window and there were five people and three dogs all staring at Jennifer and the Beanstalk’s beanstalk.

Watching this thing grow literally inches every day is exciting, I have to admit. But its pending demise is bittersweet to say the least. Agaves bloom once in their lifetime, usually between year seven and 40. I know my house was built about 12 years ago, but I am not sure when the agave went in. All I know is there are numerous babies that have popped up in my yard on their own, and two neighbors adopted one baby each in their yards. She’s done her duty, and now her Rapture has come. Sounds a little like Charlotte’s Web revisited, I would say.

“An agave plant will divert its energy resources into producing a towering flowering stalk at the expense of its life,” according to fireflyforest.net.

Yes, it’s my agave’s last big hurrah, and that makes me sad. Not to mention it will leave a big hole in my front yard. And how am I supposed to get a cactus the size of a baby rhino to the dump in my Nissan Altima?

I am not sure of the agave’s Rapture, but personally, I think we will be OK.

I’ve made plans for next week and will pay my electric bill on time. But just in case, we better clean our houses, do all of our laundry and wear our best underwear today. See you next week.

Quote of the Week: “Due to the lack of experienced trumpeters, the end of the world has been postponed for three weeks.” — Author unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment