Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Perfect Mother

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section 5/7/11

There is nothing like looking through the Mother’s Day cards rack at the store to realize just how many different types of mothers there are in the world. Each one unique and perfect in their own way, with strong points in areas when you most need them.
What would it be like if you could take all of the best traits and build the perfect mother, one that takes a little from here and a smidge from there and voila- the perfect mother?
To start, I would add one cup of Martha Stewart for her epicurean abilities and knowing her way around a kitchen. I would love to eat pork chops with tomato chutney, and I know some of her cooking can get a little rich. My mother runs a close second with her Fisherman’s Stew with Crunchy (undercooked) Carrots, or Sweet and Sour Tuna Fish; canned tuna, no kidding.
When it comes to house cleaning, what better than to add a smidge of Hazel, the attentive maid in the light blue uniform from the 60s TV series of the same name? Technically, I don’t think Hazel was a mother, but she was a female presence in the Baxter home. The house was always spotless, her attitude perky and not a hair out of place or a spot on her apron.
I’ll take a half cup of Jane Jetson from the cartoon series for her fashion and shopping expertise. If you remember correctly, her favorite store was Mooning Dales and Jane could squeak money out of George like a pro. Jane and daughter Judy wore all the latest trends and used the latest gadgets at home.
For night time story telling, I will take 2 cups of Erma Bombeck, America’s humorist and newspaper columnist from the 80s and 90s who was able to find the funny in everyday life. From “Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart,” to “The grass is always greener over the septic tank," Erma was a great story teller. Having published 4,000 newspaper columns and 15 books throughout her career, it would be a joy listening to her.

Add a pinch of Shirley Partridge for any musical assistance and a dash of Samantha Stevens from Bewitched. She can twitch her nose and get you out of any situation.

I know my kids like me just the way I am. And one way they show it is by the note they put on our refrigerator of something I once said. Is it an endearing, “I love you, honey?” Or an inspirational, motivating quote that makes them feel so loved? No. It seems that I said something so prolific when I was on ebay one time searching for a particular item for the bathroom, that they couldn’t let it go unnoticed. So, held tightly to our freezer door with a lady bug magnet is my captivating quote for all to see, “All the good toilet seats are in Europe.”

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you wonderfully unique women.

Quote of the Week: “You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back.” - William D. Tammeus, journalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment