Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Customer Service is a Blushing Matter

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section 10/22/11
Last week I found myself getting the seasonal car work done on the Altima. I clipped a coupon and drove over to American Tire and Service on Arrowhead Ridge in Rio Rancho for an oil change.

I presented my coupon to Roger at the counter and took a seat in the waiting room.
It was late in the day and I was the only one there. The smell of rubber, the sound of the rivet gun, and the black and gray theme décor reminded me this place was definitely geared toward the male population. The coffee table overflowing with sports magazines and two TV remote controls only proved my point further.

Luckily the movie Grease was playing on the DVD, and although not a favorite, it gave me something to watch while I waited.

I went up to the counter and asked if I could use my second coupon and get my tires rotated and a brake check too.
“We only do rotations only on Fridays,” said Roger.
 “But,” I started to say.
 “And brake checks are on Saturday.”
“But the coupon says they’re together,” I said trying to claim my coupon.  I looked up at Roger and his sidekick Russell only to see smirks on their faces, which broke out into full on belly laughs. Yes, they got me.

The battery in my key fob was dead and I thought these guys, being car guys, would know how to change it. I explained that I looked it up online and found that it took a special battery that cost $87.00.
“This just takes a watch battery,” said Russell. “Go to Walgreens.”

But before I knew it, Russell came back with an Energizer double back of watch batteries. Talk about service. “I’ll just put it on your tab,” he said as he popped open my key fob and installed the battery for me.
“Do you want the old one,” asked Russell.
“Ah, no thanks,” I replied.
“I meant me,” he said howling.  Oh, he’s on a roll now, I thought.
“Why are you blushing?” he prods me, snickering in delight.

I didn’t think I was blushing, but pointing it out only makes me blush more. I hate the fact that I blush so easily, something that I have done ever since I can remember. Just like a dog that can’t hide his happiness with its wagging tail, I can’t hide my shyness. I keep hoping I will outgrow it, but so far no luck.
Oh sure, it’s all fun and games until someone needs a new battery.
“With the days getting colder, you may wake up one morning and it won’t start,” Roger says informing me my battery didn’t pass the computer test.
“How much are batteries?” I cautiously ask.
“I’ll print out a couple options for you,” he says.
I go back to my seat and now the TV in the waiting room has gone to blue screen because the toddler who came in with her family picked up both remotes and pushed as many buttons as she could before throwing them on the floor. I push all the buttons trying to get Grease back on but to no avail.
They pull my car up to the front door and call me to pay my bill. One oil change, free tire rotation and brake check, and one pack of Energizer watch batteries.
I tell Roger and Russell they were great fun and that I write a column in the Rio Rancho Journal and I was going to write about my visit to their shop, which at that point both men turned bright red. Gotcha boys.
Quote of the Week: “When a girl ceases to blush, she has lost the most powerful charm of her beauty” –Pope Gregory I.

Copyright 2011 Jennifer Huard.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, nice post,there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.Thank you for sharing to us.Please one more post about that..

    ReplyDelete