Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Float of Your Life

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section 10/1/11


Your first time leaves your utterly speechless. It is a feeling unlike anything you have ever experienced in your life. It is one of those items you have to put on your bucket list. What am I talking about? Flying in a hot air balloon.

I have had the opportunity to fly in a variety of aircraft in my life. Back in the 80s my job took me on every commuter plane and jumbo jet the airlines had to offer including 747s, Learjets, Falcons and helicopters. I have been strapped into a roller coaster seat flying 85 miles per hour down a 255 foot drop. But nothing compares to the unique thrill and awe of flying in a hot air balloon.

The company I worked for had two hot air balloons of which I was responsible for scheduling around the country to promote its retail stores. And my first ride in the balloon was etched in my mind forever.

I had many questions on that early morning of my maiden flight in Maryland’s countryside, but wasn’t prepared for the ambiguous answers I was given by the pilot.

“How fast will we go,” I inquired. “As fast as the wind is blowing,” answered the pilot. “Where are we going?” I asked. “Wherever the wind takes us,” he replied. Yes, I was a newbie to ballooning but I didn’t care.

As the balloon stood up five stories tall, I hopped into the waist high wicker basket; no seat belts, no safety bars, no gas pedal, no brake, and waited for the golden moment when we would finally become lighter than air.


Without realizing it, we were hovering 2 inches off the ground. The crew members were nonchalant at this incredible feat, but I was having an unbelievable experience just four feet off the ground and rising. The most surreal one-of-a-kind feeling there is; to be quietly rising into the sky with no motor, no propeller, no rope, nothing. Another blast from the burner and we are at 20, 50, 100 feet and beyond.

As I was processing this new sensation, the pilot asked, “Want to do a little tree-topping?” Just as I began to wonder what he was talking about, we skimmed over the top of some big beautiful oak trees and I plucked a handful of leaves right off the top. There’s nothing like getting a giraffe’s perspective on life and nutrition. Simply incredible.

We floated along a few hundred feet above the ground watching the world wake up. We are just high enough to annoy every dog in every back yard along our path as we surprised the people in their driveways out picking up their morning papers.

Unfortunately, our ride came to an end some 25 miles away from our starting point and we gently return to earth with a gentle plop.


The 2011 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta begins today. Get out there and catch a ride on one of these gentle giants and cross a hot air balloon ride off your bucket list.

Quote of the Week: “And he said someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.” – Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw.

No comments:

Post a Comment