Thursday, January 7, 2010

On the Road Again - Washington, D.C.

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section 1/2/10

I write this week’s column from Washington, D.C where my daughters and I are spending a week visiting our east coast relatives. I lived in the nation’s capital throughout the 80s and was vey excited to show my daughters my old stomping ground. Granted, I was a single girl in my mid twenties the last time I lived here and my old stomping ground consisted of yuppie after-work bars, neighborhood hangouts and local malls for buying dresses with big shoulder pads; not something a mother or two teen daughters would be interested in today.

Our first stop was the Lincoln Memorial. We walked the steps up to the top to see the marble statue of Lincoln sitting in his chair larger than life. As we turned around our cameras snapped the view of the Washington Monument and the reflecting pool. I found myself explaining the view by referencing the scene from Forrest Gump when he and Jenny splashed through the pool and embraced to the crowd’s applause.

Next, we walked to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. This black granite wall with 58,261 names of the dead or missing soldiers of the war accomplishes its goal of being a somber and sobering memorial. We watched one family find the name of their loved one and pose for a picture by it. Talk about a lump in your throat.

The Air and Space Museum was every bit as spectacular as you can imagine. Seeing the Apollo 11 space capsule, Lindbergh’s Spirit of St. Louis, and Space Ship One, among the other notable space-related exhibits was incredible.

The bones of the dinosaurs, Woolly Mammoths and sea creatures at the Natural History Museum were incredible. But, I have to say the Hope Diamond was my favorite. The 45.52 carat blue diamond had a swarm of people around it snapping pictures and drooling. And wouldn’t you know it; they were all women and little girls.

Our next day took us on the Metro, Washington’s subway, down to Ford’s Theatre to see the site where President Lincoln was shot. I had been here before when I saw Cats on stage in the 80s. The relics from Lincoln’s fateful night are housed in the basement museum and we couldn’t wait to see them. When we arrived we learned the museum was closed.

On recommendation of a friend, we visited the International Spy Museum. Dedicated to the craft, practice and history of espionage, this was a treat. Upon arrival we assumed our cover names; Greta, Gloria and Jane and proceeded through the tunnel of rats to learn the old tricks from KGB, FBI, CIA and many more. I wanted my name on their wall too, the underground life was intoxicating. But, alas, my name will never be on that wall; I am too cleaver to be found, too loyal to defect and too shrewd to speak up. There was a video on 911 and the twin towers coming down, and how spies now are threatening to break America’s security codes in cyberspace. How do I get a job application to the CIA?

Tomorrow is the U. S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, the Jefferson Memorial and Arlington Cemetery to see the eternal flame. What a great trip this has been.

Quote of the Week: “Crossed the desert's bare, man. I've breathed the mountain air, man. Of travel I've had my share, man. I've been everywhere.- Johnny Cash, I’ve Been Everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment