Saturday, January 1, 2011

Turkey and Couch Potatoes

As appeared in the Albuquerque Journal Rio Rancho section 1/1/11

Happy New Year and welcome to 2011. It is going to take some time to get used to that number. I know this year is going to be great, if we could just get going.

I know the snow we had Thursday doesn't even compare to what the East Coast is dealing with, and I am sure cabin fever there is at peak levels. Just because we are capable of getting out of our houses, doesn't mean that we are.

Once again, with the kids home from school, and many people home from work, the television, in all its glory, is on all the time, giving us a sampling of what is passing for entertainment these days. And I've had about all I can take.

Did you know the Maury Povich show is still on the air? I thought that show was canceled in 1985. How many times are we going to find out who's the daddy, a common segment where men submit their DNA to prove they are or are not the father of their girlfriend's baby? Paternity pandemonium persists as the daddy cam follows the boyfriend backstage to witness his pain when he finds out he isn't the baby daddy. I am watching too much TV, aren't I?

My 12-year-old daughter's favorite show is "Judge Judy," which can also draw you in because it's like watching your mother catch your brother in a bald-faced lie. "Who dropped the smoke bomb out of your bedroom window during my Garden Club luncheon today? I don't know Mom, not me." Go get 'em, Judy.

I've watched "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" a few times, too. I like her; she gives cars and money away to people who really need it. But how many times can one watch her dance across the stage? I am watching too much TV, aren't I?

And who can forget Oprah? She is launching her own network today, OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network. I used to like Oprah when she was one of us and rich. Now she is one of them, and mega rich.

I've started watching "Family Guy" now, the cartoon for adults. Although my brother has been quoting this show for years, it took this last week for me to get hooked. Why am I watching Brian the talking dog date older women when I would rather be reading my new book, "Growing Up" by columnist Russell Baker? What is going on?

The marathons are the worst. There are "House" marathons, "CSI" marathons. The networks are even running movie marathons — I mean they are showing the same movie over and over. I've watched "Uncle Buck" three times now.

The local news programs have their "B" teams on the air, giving their "A" teams some vacation time. I get edgy when they fiddle with my regular anchors and weathermen. Steve Stucker, where are you?

Happy New Year, everyone. Now let's get back to work.

Quote of the Week: "I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts." — Orson Welles.

No comments:

Post a Comment